We contribute to five of UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, the world heads of state and government adopted 17 global goals for sustainable development. The goals aim to eradicate poverty and halt climate change to create a fairer, more sustainable, and better world.
The 193 UN member states committed themselves to achieve a more sustainable future for all by 2030. This makes Agenda 2030 the most ambitious plan – to create sustainable development – that the world has ever adopted.
For us, its highly motivating to state that GreenIron directly contributes to achieving the UN´s Sustainability Development Goals 9, 12 and 13 and indirectly to goals 6 and 17.
6. Clean water and sanitation
- The only by-product is water, which has the potential to be recirculated.
9. Promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- The technology enables fossil-free production of iron and steel, as well as recycling of waste and residuals from both industries.
- The innovation supports expanded use in addition to the steel and iron industries. The technology can be used for a number of metal oxides, such as nickel, copper, and molybdenum.
12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- The input materials in our process are not only residuals and waste from steel mills, foundries, the mining and manufacturing industries, but also iron ore.
- The technology enables the recycling of valuable metals from landfills, deposits, and other waste sites.
13. Combat climate change
- The process is in itself a completely CO2-free solution.
- The technology is based on the use of hydrogen. We use non CO2-emitting sources of hydrogen.
- The solution is small-scale and thus well suited for local establishments. This reduces the indirect sources of CO2-emissions such as transport etc.
17. Global partnerships for the goals
- Low capital investment is required. This makes the solution affordable, which enables a rapid global expansion on all continents.
- The technology reduces the necessity of and can recycle landfills from both the steel and iron industry as well as mining, which helps to improve local environments.
- We prioritise collaborations and strategic partnerships to allow a wide adaptation of the emission-free technology.